Andhra Pradesh is a large state in South India. Andhra Pradesh was separated on June 2nd, 2014 to form the State of Telangana.
Please find below some important facts about Andhra Pradesh.
1. Land area: Prior to separation of the state to form Telangana, Andhra Pradesh was 4th largest in India by land area. Post separation, Andhra Pradesh is ranked eighth in terms of land area.
2. Populous State: Prior to the separation, it was the 5th most populous state in India with population of more than 84.5 million people. Post separation, with a population of is 49.7 million, the state is the 10th most populous state in India.
3. Capital City: Hyderabad, the largest city in the unseparated Andhra Pradesh, is the Capital City. On separation, Hyderabad was decided to be transferred to Telangana. For next 10 years, from the date of separation, Hyderabad would remain the capital city of both Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. However, the newly planned city, Amaravati, is the de facto capital of Hyderabad.
4. Language: The most spoken language of Andhra Pradesh is Telugu.
5. Hot Climate: The climate of Andhra Pradesh is hot and the temperature shoots up to 45 degree Celsius during summer.
6. Rice Bowl of India: Andhra Pradesh is is a large producer of rice. Hence, it is also known as “Rice bowl of India”.
7. Staple Food: Rice is the staple food of Andhra Pradesh.
8. Coastline: Andhra Pradesh has a long coastline measuring around 1000 kilometers.
9. Major Rivers: The major rivers of the state are Godavari and Krishna. River Godavari forms one of the biggest river basins in India.
10. Major Cities: Prior to the separation, the major cities of the state are Hyderabad, Visakhapatnam, Warangal and Tirupati. Post separation, Hyderabad, and Warangal now belongs to the state of Telangana. Presently, the largest city is Visakhapatnam.
11. Official Language: Telugu is the primary official language in Andhra Pradesh. Urdu is the co-official language.
12. Best season to visit: The best season to visit Andhra Pradesh is between November and March.
13. Producer of World Famous Diamonds: Andhra Pradesh produced some of the world famous diamonds such as Kohinoor, daryaye noor, etc.
14. Connectivity: Hyderabad is well connected with major cities of India such as Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai and Chennai. The state also well connected superb railway network.
15. Places to visit : (a) Charminar, Salarjung Museum in Hyderabad (Now in Telangana), (b) Golconda Fort near Hyderabad (Now in Telangana), (c) The Lord Venkateswara Balaji Temple at Tirupati, (d) The Warangal Fort at Warangal(Now in Telangana), (e) Ancient Buddhist Remains at Vijayawada, etc.
Please also read, Interesting Facts about India.
Updated: April 13, 2019