Sahitya Akademi (Academy) is the National Academy of Letters in India.
- Sahitya Akademi was set up by Government of India in 1954;
- It is an autonomous organization for the development of Indian letters;
- Sahitya Akademi translates literary works from one Indian Language to another from foreign languages into Indian;
- It publishes works on literary history and criticism, bibliography ;
- It makes persons of letters and literary achievement Fellows of the Akademi;
- Sahitya Akademi awards prizes to works published in Indian languages and English.
One of its important objectives is to spread love of study of literature and people. Regional offices are at Bombay, Calcutta and Madras.