‘Health is Wealth’ is a popular saying that shows the importance of health in our everyday life. Health can be understood as a state of being free from illness and infirmity.
The above definition of health is now considered to be out-dated because health is much beyond absence of disease. The mere absence of a disease does not indicate that we are healthy. The World Health Organisation defines health as a state of physical, psychological, social and spiritual well-being. This definition of health is very much important because it considers psychological, social and spiritual well-being.
The conventional definitions of health takes into consideration only the physical and bodily aspects of health while the other equally important factors may have been left. Therefore, health is a holistic state of well-being.
The importance of health is further listed out as follows:
- Reduces sickness: When we keep healthy, the incidence of illness and sickness will reduce.
- Reduces pain: When the incidence of illness reduces, we experience lesser pain in our everyday life. Healthy body also reduces susceptibility to chronic pains.
- Improves immunity: Healthy living helps in boosting the resistance and strength of the immune system which in turn reduces the incidence of illnesses.
- Increases our longevity: We can live a long life when we maintain our health and body properly.
- Stay physically strong: Healthy individuals are physically strong and making them capable of handling heavy physical activity.
- Maintain healthy balance of weight: Eating healthy and maintain good health helps us maintain appropriate body weight.
- Health of body organs: Maintaining overall health helps to keep all bodily organs health and function properly.
- Help heal and recover soon: A healthy body can quickly recover from injury and illness. The psychological health also gets reflected in physical recovery.
- Builds muscular strength and endurance: Being and staying healthy strengthens our muscles.
- Remain energetic: Staying healthy helps us stay energetic for long periods of time and in our everyday activities.
- Makes us more productive: Being healthy keeps us more active, energetic and illness free enabling us to be more productive and capable of doing our work uninterrupted.
- Helps us think clearly: The absence of illness and a general state of good health helps us to think and act clearly.
- Reduces stress: Ill health can be a source of significant stress and staying healthy can reduce and prevent some significant stressors from affecting us.
- Helps us focus on career and education: Staying healthy can be a precondition for us to focus on developing and advancing in career and in education.
- Undertake physical activities: Maintaining physical health enables us to participate in activities like sports, mountaineering, cycling and so on with ease.
- Help others: When we are physically fit, we can help other people in a better way.
- Donate blood: Healthy individuals can donate blood and thereby help save lives.
- Be happy: Being healthy promotes positive emotions and contributes to developing enduring happiness in life
- Build social relations: A healthy body helps us in maintain positive relationships with other people around us by contributing psychologically and socially in our lives.
- Most important asset: We can rebuild the loss of any asset but the loss of health can never be replaced because once affect our body is irreplaceable.
Health is indeed a very important asset in our everyday life. Maintaining healthy living becomes paramount for longevity. It is very much important to make our presence meaningful. We would never be in a position to help others or to serve the society if we are not physically capable in the first place. Therefore, health becomes the first requirement for everything else in life. Health is life and let’s maintain it and preserve life.