Computer – Essay 1.
A computer is an electronic device or machine that stores information and is able to manipulate the stored information into desired forms.
Computers are able to store programs and go as far as extract information from its memory. Computers perform operations with quantities that are represented electronically in the form of digits.
Computers have played a very instrumental role in making life better and easier for human beings. They have made production and performance more efficient and elevated economic levels of many countries and even individuals.
What is a computer system?
A computer system is the components that make for a complete functioning computer. A computer is made up of the central processing unit (CPU), the memory, peripheral devices that are connected to and from it, the operating system and the associating electronics in the main cabinet.
A computer system is therefore basically the computer together with any software and peripheral devices that coordinate and synchronize their functions for the functioning of the computer.
History of computer technology
The computer designing project traces back to the 19th century. This is owed to Charles Babbage who designed the Analytical Engine. Computers can be categorized into three generations, each being an improvement of its predecessor. The first generation computer (1937-1946) was built by Atanasoff and Berry. In 1943, the Colossus was built for the military. In 1946 however, the ultimate first generation computer was built. It was a general purpose digital computer called the Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer (ENIAC). This computer could only perform single tasks and lacked an operating system.
The second generation computer was in use in the period (1947-1962). This model used transistors. This gave birth to the Universal Automatic Computer (UNIVAC 1). This was the first computer to be introduced to the public for commercial purposes.
The third generation computer is also the present computer (1963-present). It is credited to the invention of the integrated circuit. It features a smaller, more reliable and more powerful and one that is able to multi task.
Uses of computer technology
- Computer technology has been used in the designing computer games for entertainment purposes.
- Writing is also another important use of the computer technology for purposes such as academics, working and preparing documents. Computer technology also plays an instrumental function is solving mathematics.
- People also watch TV and movies with the help of the very reliable computer technology which has proven to be very diverse in functionality.
- It is possible to listen to music over the computer. It provides the option to select, play, and adjust volume and even forward or rewind.
- Computers are also used for communication purposes. They are able to send and receive messages via email and other media provisions and also make calls. Communication via computer goes beyond the boundaries of geographical distance.
- Computer technology also gives downloading options. With so much as internet connection, it is possible to outsource information online and have it for and during offline uses.
Disadvantages of computers
- Computers can limit learning because they have a tendency to create dependency.
- It is not a guarantee that your information is safe from intrusion when stored in a computer. With the right skills and knowledge, private information can easily land in unauthorized hands.
- Computers also consume a lot of serious time. This is because they can offer numerous distractions especially when connected to the internet.
- Computers are a threat to human labour. This is because they have the potential to do what humans do at their work places.
- Trolls are also disadvantages of computers and make for a serious threat to safety and peace of mind to the victims.
- With too much involvement with computerized work, it is easy to become self-centered. Ideally, people are supposed to work together but nowadays, it is possible to do much seated behind a computer.
- There’s too much sitting when working with a computer. This can lead to health problems and also the mouse potato habit.
- Typing on a computer requires continuous movement of the hands particularly the fingers. This promotes the carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Computers also strain the eyes and expose them to too much light for long period which is an ingredient of diseased eyes.
The development of computers is perhaps one of the greatest steps that man has made and the minds behind computer design should be praised. However, care should be taken to ensure that computers do not become the substitute for relevance of human beings in the various areas of human life. Moreover, the negative consequence of computers to human health should also be watched out for.
Importance of Computer – Essay 2
Computers are an essential part of today’s world that is being run by technology. Every minute in this world is technologically dependent on the computer and the World Wide Web. Computers have come to become the extensions of humans and any list that states all the uses of the computer is inadequate to explain the role that it plays in society. In a scientific sense, we can define a computer as an electronic device that receives information, carries out a set of predefined operations and provide the result of the operations. A computer is more like an electronic processing device that has transformed the society. We are in many ways dependent on computers and the importance of computers have been discussed as follows.
- Fast computation: Computers are well known for their fast computational abilities and to be able to do so with huge datasets.
- Accuracy in prediction and computation: The superiority of computers comes from the accuracy of their computation and their ability to make close to accurate predictions.
- Process information: Similar to analysis, computers process huge chunks of information within seconds.
- Digitization of documents: It enables digitization of material in the form of scanned copies and typed out documents that can be stored and transmitted digitally.
- Maintaining huge databases: Computers have the capacity to store and manage databases of information.
- Easy access and recovery of stored information: The large databases of information stored can be easily accessed and retrieved based on certain specific requirements.
- Analysis of large databases: Beyond the capacity to store large databases, computers can analyse information and give us with desired results accurately in seconds.
- Development of software: Software are everywhere from billing to book keeping and data analytics, software that we use in various areas are developed using computers.
- Building of applications: Apps have come to be the engines of everyday life and computers are the platforms for building those applications.
- Variety of applications in one device: Computers are a mode of access to a variety of applications beginning from the simple calculator to data analytics software.
- Hosting of websites: The Internet has come to become extensions of our everyday life and hosting of various websites are done with the help of computers.
- Communication: Computers have come to become one of the most basic modes of communication.
- Research: Any kind of research is dependent on computer for computation, for analysis, for finding other related studies and so on.
- Automation of processes: Computers are now being used to control machines and processes like manufacturing and so on that were earlier controlled by humans.
- Medical imaging: Computers have come to become a very integral part of the medical field especially in imaging and operative procedures.
- Running businesses: Businesses starting from the Kirana stores to multi-million dollars business empires rely on computers for various functions.
- Education: Computers have come to revolutionize the way in which education and learning takes place
- Banking: The banking system as it takes place today is heavily reliant on computers and many processes are automatically carried out using a computer.
- Integrating markets: Computers have led to integration of markets at various levels and people can access markets across the globe through computers.
- Foundation for future technology: Computers represent a technological advancement that will stand to be the basic foundation for all future technology.
From gaming to banking, computers have proved to be very useful and helpful for mankind. It has reduced a lot of work and automated several functions, freeing up time for us humans. Despite the threat of computers overtaking humans, a subject of sci-fi movies, computers have indeed transformed our society and hastened the progress of our civilization. Computers are indeed a boon for the society.
Last Updated: March 16, 2019.