Grandparents – Essay 1
Grandparents are the parents of one’s father or mother. Grandparents can be either maternal or paternal.
Paternal grandparents are those from the father’s side of the family while maternal grandparents are those from the mother’s side of the family.
Even with their old age, grandparents are very important in our lives. There are various benefits that we can gain from our grandparents and hence establishing a good relationship with them is important.
Role of grandparents
- Grandparents have the role of sharing history with their children and grandchildren. They are more familiar with past events that they can share with others.
- Grandparents also bridge the generational gaps. They can be used to connect the present generation to the older generation by narrating stories about the older generation.
- Grandparents act as mentors. They inspire their grandchildren through offering excellent advice and nurturing talents and dreams.
- Grandparents also make better friends. They are better listeners and they also have more patience when it comes to dealing with our moods. They also know how to offer advice without judgmental tones.
- Grandparents also have the role of offering advice and insights. They have more experiences in life and hence offer great advice from an experienced point of view.
- Grandparents can also act as caretakers if our parents are not available. They can take the role of being a parent if our parents are not available.
- Grandparents can also be role models. This is especially the case if they are successful and reputable people. Many children choose their grandparents as their role models as they can better connect with them.
- Another role of grandparents is that they act as a means of learning our culture and traditions. They can teach their grandchildren on how to cook traditional dishes and other traditional practices.
What can we learn from our grandparents?
- We can learn of historical happenings from our grandparents. This is because they either witnessed the happenings or they got the information first hand form someone who witnessed the historical events.
- We also learn about our genealogy from our grandparents. They can teach us about our past family members who we never met.
- Grandparents also teach us about our cultures and traditions that we may have forgotten due to westernization.
- Spending time with our grandparents also teaches us on various morals and values since grandparents are more skilled in giving advice.
How to treat and take care of our grandparents?
- We should help our grandparents with their house chores. This is because they cannot perform these chores very well due to their age.
- We should also be more polite to our grandparents. This is to show them respect as they are elder members of the family.
- You should also ensure that you frequently monitor the health of your grandparents. This is because with their age, they are more prone to the risk of acquiring infections and diseases.
- You should also ensure that you spend quality time with your grandparents. This will not only be beneficial to you due to the wisdom you receive but you will also help them feel loved and needed.
- You can also take care of your grandparents by accompanying them to the hospital every time they undergo checkups. This will give them the feeling of love and appreciation.
How to express love to our grandparents?
- You can show love to your grandparents by buying them occasional gifts. This will make them feel loved and needed.
- You can also express love by inviting them to events like birthdays. This makes them feel like a part of your life.
- Going to your grandparents’ home for holidays or inviting them over is also a way of showing them love.
- You can also express love for your grandparents by cooking for them once in a while. They have spent most of their life cooking for others and returning the favor will make them feel appreciated.
- Helping your grandparents with their house chores is also a way of expressing love.
Grandparents are very important in our lives. This is because without them, we would not have existed as they gave us our parents. It is hence important to treat your grandparents with love and respect to appreciate them for bringing up your parents. There are also a lot of things that we can learn by spending time with our grandparents.
Grandparents and their Importance – Essay 2
Importance of grandparents can hardly be stressed enough. Both sets of grandparents, i.e. the parents of one’s mother and of the father are some of the closest and well-meaning people in the world after the parents themselves. The importance that they have in our lives can only be known to people who have lived with at least one set of grandparents for some length of time. Grandparents that live with the families can be often a great source of support for the entire families. Usually one’s father take up the responsibility of keeping the family together by taking care of his parents, but that need not necessarily be the case. Even if the grandparents live separately and visit sometimes, their role in one’s life still is important.
Importance of Grandparents
- They provide a warm environment and their attitudes are nurturing to a child.
- Grandparents are usually non-judgemental and this is very good for developing ones self-esteem.
- Grandparents are very good at pampering. This can provide the child some relief from the disciplinary regime of parents.
- Grandparents have a lot of life experience which can be very valuable when they share it with their grandchildren.
- Learning can often be easier with grandparents since they have by that age much more patience needed for teaching.
- They keep a good balance to the values that keep changing along with the generations.
- Grandparents tell us some of the best stories that have been collected either in their own experience or just having read them earlier.
- A grandmother can be a major source of home remedies for all types of ailments.
- Grandmothers usually perfect some of the best recipes by the time they are at that age and so they make delicious food.
- Grandfathers on the other hand are more fun when it comes to tinkering with articles.
- Grandparents know a lot of people in the family and are quite instrumental in keeping connections with family and relatives.
- Most grandparents are quite well read and can be a big help in learning something new.
- When parents are very busy, grandparents can be looked for support to take care of the grandchildren.
- Grandparents often give sound advice since they have reached that age and accumulated a lot of wisdom.
- Grandparents usually travel a lot and one can get to travel with them every once in a while.
- They can provide a lot of amusement with their jokes, sharing stories and experiences.
- Grandparents are always there to lend a shoulder in time of pain. They love to listen to your problems without judging.
- They have so much experience that they easily find solutions to problems that look difficult or help you develop the attitude to look beyond the problem.
- One’s grandparents can often become the best of friends since they know you inside out, having seen you since childhood and know how to comfort or advise you.
- Grandparents can often be a source of learning how to be a caregiver. If you have to take care of a grandparent who is sick you develop empathy and the skills necessary to be a caregiver.
Anyone who has been fortunate to have had grandparents knows just by mentioning the warmth that the word ‘grandparents’ is capable of generating. Add to that the wisdom that is ready to be shared at just the right time; it is easy to guess why grandparents are so valued. They have the patience and understanding that parents stressed to meet the demands of everyday life fail to meet.