Indian Flag (National Flag of India) – Essay 1.
Every country has a national flag which has huge importance, and every countryman should respect their country’s flag.
Indian country’s flag is one of the best and the most beautiful flags in the country. The flag got adopted on 22nd July 1947, and since then India has the same flag. The name of our flag is Tricolor because it is a horizontal rectangular flag which has three colors namely Saffron, White, and Green.
The flag also has an Ashoka Chakra which has 24 spokes and which gets seen at the center of the flag in navy blue color. The flag got designed by Pingali Venkayya, and we should thank him for his great efforts which will let us have such a beautiful flag.
Why is our National Flag called Tiranga?
The Indian national flag gets called Tiranga because it has three colors in it and all three colors have its own importance in our national flag. The saffron color got placed to pay tribute to all the sacrifices people made and courage people shown to fight against cruel foreigners. The White color represents that even when the country contains a lot of castes and communities in it, still the country has an inner peace which is definitely required for any country. The green color represents the greenery and the prosperity that the country has. The flag also has an Ashoka Chakra in navy blue color, but the color doesn’t reflect anything the Ashoka Chakra got placed for the internal law.
Three colors of the Indian National Flag
The Indian national flag contains three colors, and that is why it gets called Tiranga or Tricolor. Every color has its own importance, and a lot of people have their unique definition of these three colors. Some of the people feel that the three colors tell about the sacrifices that Indians have done. Others feel that the colors represent the unity that India. And some of the people feel that the colors represent the growth and prosperity India has even after a lot of foreign invasions.
The Significance of 24 Spokes
The 24 spokes collectively get called as the Ashoka Chakra, and each spoke in it has its own meaning. We will start from the ending, and the meaning of every spoke is as below:
- The meaning of 24th spoke is that people of India have wisdom beyond books.
- The meaning of 23rd spoke means that people here do not abuse their rights.
- 22nd spoke means that people here obey their duties.
- 21st spoke means that people here love co-operation.
- 20th spoke means that justice is equivalent to all the people.
- 19th spoke means that various policies would get made for the betterment of the country.
- 18th spoke means that people here would use the money in an optimum manner.
- 17th spoke means that even though the country has lots of castes and creeds, everybody is equivalent in the eyes of the law.
- 16th spoke means that everyone should be aware of the truth and never support a lie.
- 15th spoke means that one should always get ready to help the country.
- 14th spoke means that people should always help to build more industries.
- 13th spoke means people should participate for the prosperity in the country.
- 12th spoke means that people should actively participate in welfare programs.
- 11th spoke means that people should participate to save the integrity of the nation.
- 10th spoke means that people should maintain a brotherhood in the country.
- 9th spoke means that people should maintain a friendship with each other.
- 8th spoke means that people should have a feeling of love between them.
- 7th spoke means that people should always get ready to forgive others.
- 6th spoke means that people should get ready to serve the country.
- 5th spoke means that people should maintain morality in their lives.
- 4th spoke means that people should always get ready to sacrifice for their country.
- 3rd spoke means that people should maintain peace in the country.
- 2nd spoke means that people should stay healthy and live a healthy lifestyle.
- 1st spoke means that people should live a simple life.
History of the Indian flag
A lot of flags got used between the time when Britishers came to India and India acquired Independence, but it can clearly get seen that none of the flags were as good, as meaningful and as beautiful like the Tricolor. Some of the pre-independence flags were:
- Flag of British India
- Flag of Indian Independence
- Gandhi’s Flag
- The Swaraj Flag
All in all, Indian national flag the tricolor is a flag which gets loved by people from all around the world. There would be no other flag which has such a beautiful meaning, and that is why the people of India have lots of love and unity within each other.
By Aparna (2018)
National Flag – Essay 2.
A National Flag is a symbol of national unity in many countries. The National Flag of India is a symbol that aims at unifying all the regions and communities found in the country. The flag of India can be found in most of the government buildings and also in schools during specific days. It is also hoisted during the public holidays.
Meaning of the 3 colours of the flag
- The Saffron color represents selflessness and courage. This is a color that is used to encourage political leaders not to seek material gain in their positions but to work for the common good of the people.
- The white color represents peace, purity as well as honesty. This is a symbol to the political leadership that they should work towards the peace of the nation. It is also a representation of truth that would guide the conduct of the people and country.
- The green color represents prosperity, abundance and faith. It is a representation of the earth that gives life to everything in it and should hence be preserved.
Meaning of the 24 spokes on the flag
The 24 spokes depict the Ashoka Chakra which is the wheel of the law of dharma. It hence means that dharma or virtue should be what guides the people of the country represented by this flag. The wheel also means movement and symbolizes that the nation should not be stagnant but should adopt change and move forward.
Importance of the national flag
- The national flag is a symbol of national unity. It is a symbol which brings people together despite their religious, cultural or ethnic differences.
- The national flag also helps to contribute to peace in the country. This is through the unity that it depicts that people should have.
- It is also important as it is used to represent the country’s rich religious roots. This is through the colors that each has a religious significance.
- The national flag is also a representation of the freedom that India received from the British.
- Another importance of the flag is that it forms the basis upon which political leaders find governing values that will help them to steer the country towards growth.
- The flag is also important as it is a representation of the people in a country. Once people see the flag of India, the image that comes to their mind is a general representation of the people of India.
Flag hoisting during national festivals
The National Flag in India is hoisted during various National festivities like the Independence Day, Republic day, and Gandhi Jayanti. The flag hoisting ceremony is usually presided over by the President. Flag Hoisting on a National Festival is done to portray the sovereignty of the country and to show its independence.
Sense of pride
A National flag is a symbol of pride in that it gives people the sense of belonging to the country. Whenever someone sees the Indian flag anywhere, it gives them the sense of pride on what their country has done for them.
A National flag is a very important symbol in a country. The flag helps to keep the people in a country united and also helps them to have a sense of belonging to the country. A national flag should be treated with respect due to the symbolism that it gives to the people of a country.
By Mary (2019)
Last updated: June 20, 2019.