The following are the features of political parties:
- There exists a great deal of agreement among the members of a political party on the fundamental issues of the state.
- Political parties have some degree of organization, discipline and permanence.
- They seek to achieve their objectives through constitutional means.
- The political parties aim at safeguarding and promoting national interest.
- The primary aim of every political party is to attain political power as a means to achieve their objectives.
- The top leadership of the party remains responsible for formulating and furthering policy decisions. The common members of the party have hardly any scope to dabble in this sphere.