India (the Republic of India) is the seventh-largest country in the world. It is the second most populous country all over the world.
India is home to no less than 29 states. The country has some states which are big in size. But, which have the biggest areas? And, which of these are the most densely populated?
Every state in India has something great to offer. The following are the largest states in India (both by size as well as population).
Top 10 Largest States in India – by Area (2011 Census).
In terms of area, Rajasthan is the largest state in India, followed by Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, and Jammu and Kashmir.
Please find below the list of top ten states in India in term of area according to 2011 Census.
|Rank||Name of the State||Area (in Square Kilometres)||Description|
|1||Rajasthan||342,239||Situated to the west of India on the border with Pakistan, this state is the largest by area in the whole country. It is home to several cultural highlights including the ruins that remain of the Civilization of the Indus Valley.|
|2||Madhya Pradesh||308,245||The second largest state by area in India is located in the center of the country and it is renowned for its 10th century temples.|
|3||Maharashtra||307,713||This state covering both western and central parts of the country contains one of India’s largest and most buzzing cities: Mumbai.|
|4||Uttar Pradesh||240,928||In the north of India, this state is very popular with tourists as it is the state that contains the world famous Taj Mahal.|
|5||Jammu and Kashmir||222,236||This large state is mainly dominated by the majestic Himalayan mountains, which can be found in the north of India.|
|6||Gujarat||196,024||This is the westernmost state in the whole country, and its famous business center is Ahmedabad.|
|7||Karnataka||191,791||Karnataka is a gorgeous coastal state that borders on the Arabian sea. Many states in India have their own official bird or animal, and the official bird of this state is the Indian Roller.|
|8||Andhra Pradesh||162,968||Another coastal state, this state is very popular with surfers and swimmers, particularly around the Bay of Bengal.|
|9||Odisha (formerly Orissa)||155,707||A sacred lake and plenty of historic temples make this state, located on the Bay of Bengal, amazingly rich in cultural heritage.|
|10||Chhattisgarh||135,191||This state is very densely forested.|
Source for area (in square kms): Wikipedia
Top 10 States in India – by Population (2011 Census).
According to the 2011 Census, Uttar Pradesh (U.P.) is the Indian state with largest population. Uttar Pradesh is followed by Maharashtra, Bihar, West Bengal and Madhya Pradesh. The top 10 most populous states in India are as follows:
|Sl. No||Name of the State||Population (2011 Census)||Description|
|1||Uttar Pradesh||199,281,477||The state with largest population. It seems everyone wants to live in the same state as the Taj Mahal.|
|2||Maharashtra||112,372,972||The state with second highest population. Mumbai and Bollywood draw people to this state.|
|3||Bihar||103,804,637||The third most populous state also borders Nepal.|
|4||West Bengal||91,347,736||Much of the population of this state lives in and around the capital, Kolkata.|
|5||Madhya Pradesh||72,597,565||The capital city Bhopal and Jabalpur are among the densely populated regions here.|
|6||Tamil Nadu||72,138,958||In the South, this state’s capital is Chennai.|
|7||Rajasthan||68,621,012||As mentioned above, this is also India’s largest state.|
|8||Karnataka||61,130,704||It is not only Indian Rollers that are plentiful here – human beings are too!|
|9||Gujarat||60,383,628||Indian’s most western state is also home to a large number of people.|
|10||Andhra Pradesh||49,386,799||This coastal state is densely populated.|
Source for population: Wikipedia.
Conclusion: India can use its large size and population to its advantage. For example, the large states translate to higher and reliable labor and consumption of products and services.
Brief details of Top 10 largest states in India (by area)
It is important to have an understanding of some of the largest states in India.
- Rajasthan is the land where palaces and temples are dominant. Its land area is so large that it can be compared to the Congolese land area. Having been established in November 1956, Rajasthan has a land area of up to 342,239 square kilometers.
- Madhya Pradesh is the second largest state in the Republic of India. It stands in the middle of the whole of India geographically hence the name The Heart of India. It stretches up to 308,252 square kilometers by land area and y so doing, accommodates up to 7.25 crore
- Maharashtra is the Gateway of India comes third in this list, with a land area of 307, 713 square kilometers. This huge land area has seen Maharashtra home up to 36 districts in India.
- Uttar Pradesh is the Home of Powerful Empires spreading across 240,928 square kilometers by land area, an aspect that has seen it hold 75 districts.
- Jammu & Kashmir stands as one of the leading states in the whole of India in terms of beauty. It is known to be the Land of Beautiful Valleys. Her summer capital is the Srinagar while her winter capital is Jammu.
- Gujarat is state is popular for inhabiting Gir. It has a land area of 196,024 square kilometers.
- Karnataka is land of Sun Rising Industry goes for over 191,791 square kilometers. It is home for 30 districts.
- Andhra Pradesh is known as the Rice Bowl of India whose capital is the Hyderabad and covers as land area of 162,968 square kilometer.
- Odisha is the Land of Lord Jagannatha having been established in the year 1936 and has a land stretch of up to 155,707 square kilometers.
- Chhattisgarh is the Bowl of Minerals, standing as the tenth largest state of India with a land area of up to 135,191 square kilometers.
Each state of India has a significant role in different sectors of India’s economy and holds a significant population as well.
Last Updated: March 18, 2019