Advertisement means marketing material. An advertisement is something that explains and disseminates a brand’s message.
Advertisement can be a noun. As a noun, it can mean a poster, email message, social media post or video that spreads awareness of a brand. As a noun, it is sometimes simply shortened to ‘advert’.
Advertisement can also be a verb. As a verb it means the process of spreading a brand’s message.
Advantages of advertisements.
- Spreads awareness of a brand.
- Engages customers.
- Makes a company recognizable.
- Provides employment for marketing teams, actors and so on.
- Helps to make a brand a household name.
- Keeps existing customers loyal.
- Attracts new customers.
- Gets people talking about a brand.
Disadvantages of advertisement.
- Can be expensive.
- Customers can resent a ‘hard sell’.
- Can cause negative publicity if done wrongly.
- Makes people feel they need to own certain things in order to feel happy.
- Contributes to excessive consumer culture.
- Trust can be built up with customers in other ways, for instance word of mouth.
- Adverts can break up films on the TV or articles online to the frustration of the viewer or reader.
Conclusion: It is a good idea to take all adverts with a pinch of salt.