Meaning: Child marriage is the formal marriage of children who are below 18 years of age. The Indian laws prohibits marriages where either the girl below 18 years of age or the boy has not attained 21 years of age.
It is a big problem in Indian society as the whole life of children, especially the girls, get disturbed due to this evil problem.
Child marriage is a major social issue. Though an ancient practice, this custom is still prevalent in many parts of India, especially the rural areas.
Causes of Child Marriage
- Low status of women.
- Economic or financial inability of the family.
- Custom, Traditional beliefs and social mind-set.
- Developing relational alliances amid families for other business or financial upholds.
- Gender Inequalities in the society.
Effects of Child Marriage
- Health issues as giving birth at an early age is harmful for the girls’ health. It is not good for both mother and the baby.
- Child marriage is an end of the girl child’s childhood.
- Hindrance to the educational aspect of the girl child.
- High population raises the poverty level of the family.
- Increase in the population due to uncontrolled birth rates due to early pregnancy.
- Economic and financial constraints in the family due to over-population.
- Empowering girl child on their rights.
- Providing educational supports like- schools and educational institutions to them.
- Motivating and informing their families against the adverse effects of child marriage.
- Support their skills and empower them.
- Providing economic and financial support to the girl child.
- Educate the society on the adversities and bad results of early marriages.
- Encourage existence of legal support against such false beliefs.
There are several laws that prohibits Child marriage in India.