What is Respect?
Respect comes in many different forms. It is all about honoring other people for their wisdom, actions and status.
Respect for elders means honoring our parents, grandparents, and anyone older than us. Respect for parents is a very specific kind of respect for our elders. Respect for teachers means acting in an attentive manner to those trying to educate us.
The Importance of Respect.
1. Recognition. Respecting someone else is a way of reognizing their achievements and what they have done for us.
2. Care. Respecting others shows we care about them.
3. The fabric of society. Respect for others keeps the fabric of society together.
4. Humanity. We should all respect each other because of our common humanity.
5. Getting respect ourselves. How can we expect others to respect us unless we respect them?
Ways to show respect.
1. Formal language. Formal language (such as saying ‘madam’) shows respect.
2. Listening attentively. Respecting another person’s words and opinions is a key form of respect.
3. Showing courtesy. Opening doors, helping with chores and so on are simple ways of showing respect.
4. Taking advice. Taking others’ advice shows we respect them.
5. Following the rules. Following both official laws and the rules set down by others is often key to respectful behavior.
We can all show our respect for each other, starting right now.