“Tours and travel first leave you speechless, and then turn you into a storyteller.” Tourism is a beautiful experience and can be simply defined as a trip for pleasure. However, the deeper meaning for tourism can be found below:
Tourism is the act of travel for mainly relaxation and purposes. World Tourism Organization defines tourists as the people who “travel to and stay in places outside their usual environment for not more than one consecutive year for leisure, business, recreation and other purposes not related to the exercise of an activity remunerated from within the place visited.”
Tourism can be of several types. Domestic tourism involves residents of the same country making visits in their own country at various places. Inbound tourism is the one when residents of other country visit your country.
Outbound tourism is when residents of our country visit another country. This refers to the practice where a foreigner leaves his or her own country and travels to another with the intention of visiting to see, learn and enjoy the natural resources such as wildlife and land forms or take part in activities such as paragliding in the other country.
Tourism is not only a leisure and fun activity. Rather, Tourism exists as an independent industry which draws, accommodates and entertains tourists and helps generate income for the country. Tourism opportune us to explore new culture, meet new people and do fun and adventure at different places.
Importance of Tourism
- Economic Progress – The tourism industry aids and supports the foreign exchange reserves. It benefits our country in generating foreign currency. Every year a large number of tourists visit India and other places. They visit places; stay and shop in our country. All this contributes to a significant amount of foreign currency generation. Despite global recession, Indian tourism grew 6.9 % to approximately $42 billion in the year 2010.
- Source of Income – Tourism is the source of revenue for many countries who have many tourist visiting their resources yearly.It is a continual source of income for the public & private income. The government charges various forms of tax that is called government revenue. The income generated through these taxes is the public income. The profit earned by a seller, by selling items like local artifacts, handicraft items, etc, to the tourists is called private income. Tourism also helps in employment generation. It created jobs specifically in hotel industry, hospitality industry, service sector, entertainment and transportation industry.
- Development of Infrastructure – Have you ever noticed how the look and status of a place changes when it is declared a tourist place? Actually, tourism aids and encourages infrastructure development by making way for dams, roads, connectivity, airport improvements, and any other activity that helps a tourist in visiting a place in a much better way!
- Societal Progress – Tourism is a wonderful method for cultural exchange. It also encourages societal progress as tourists learn to show respect, tolerance and love for each other when they visit new places.
- Cultural Heritage – Tourism helps explain beauty, art, history and culture of our country. Different people visiting any country take beautiful cultural concepts along with them and spread those concepts to others while visiting other places of the world. Similarly, the local skills, languages and art get a wide exposure through tourism.
- Employment: It also provides an employment for the workers who work in the various tourists’ attraction places like wildlife parks as guides for the tourists.
- It fosters trade as the tourists like to purchase commodities from the countries they visit.
- Tourism also helps bring people together and therefore mixing of cultures. Tourism also cause cultural diversity through the borrowing of practices done by either group of people involved in the industry.
- It opens up a country to foreign investors who during their visits see entrepreneurial opportunities they choose to invest in.
- Tourism also influences a country to take care of whichever resources they are blessed with a view to attract more tourists and therefore more revenue.
Conclusion: Tourism attracts and invites numerous visitors across the world to come and visit a country. It also helps in the economic progress of a country and generates employment too. Tourism is also a wonderful method for cultural exchange! Hence, every country should encourage an tourism as much as possible because tourism lets us explore and discover how beautiful this world is!
Last Updated: March 23, 2019.