What Is Agriculture? Agriculture is the growing of crops and rearing of animals. Modern agriculture has become more advanced and relies on machinery such as tractors, combine harvesters, trailers, sprayers and much more.
25 Advantages of Agriculture
Though it has been practiced since the start of humanity, there are quite a number of people who don’t know what agriculture is and its advantages. The advantages of Agriculture are given below in points.
1. Food for Human beings: It provides food that can be consumed by human beings. These include vegetables, fruits and meat.
2. Food for Animals: Animals also feed on food grown through agriculture for instance hay, fodder, silage and more.
3. Source of Livelihood: Many people spend their lives engaging in agriculture.They include farmers, agronomists, transporters and many others.
4. Source of Income: People earn their living directly or indirectly though agriculture.
5. Raw Materials: Agriculture produces raw materials that are needed in manufacturing. Examples include, sisal, cotton, bamboo and more.
6. Food Security: Agriculture is practiced to improve food security in a country.
7. Trading Commodity: Products such as wheat, corn, or tea are used as trading commodities in the financial markets.
8. International Trade: International trade is dependent on agricultural products which are interchanged between countries.
9. Foreign Exchange: Agricultural countries earn foreign currency by exporting agricultural produce.
10. National Revenue: Many governments especially in developing countries earn most of their income from agriculture.
11. Employment Opportunities: The agricultural sector is a leading employer in many countries.
12. Economic Development: Most countries and regions have experienced economic growth and development because of agriculture.
13. Conserving the Environment: Good agricultural practices help in conserving the environment and reducing pollution.
14. Transport Sector: The transport sector is heavily dependent on the agricultural sector.
15. Conducive Environment: Agriculture has transformed arid and semi-arid areas into green and more conducive environments.
16. Forging International Cooperation: Many countries interact with each other because of exporting and importing agricultural produce.
17.Improving Standards of Living: Good agricultural techniques help farmers and other players improve their living standards.
18. Agro-Based Industries: Many industries crop-up to produce products that depend on cotton, sisal, jute and other agricultural products.
19. Greener Environment: Agriculture can help enhance the surrounding by creating natural vegetation instead of bare soil and rocks.
20. Support Scientific Research: Researchers and scientists normally rely on plants and animals that have been produced through agriculture.
21. Improved Health: Most of the drugs and medication comes from produce that is farmed.
22. Water Conservation: Modern agriculture which relies on drip irrigation helps to conserve water. Dams also stop water from wasting away.
23. Minimizing Pollution: Plants help purify the air by absorbing carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen. The also trap harmful toxins and pathogens in the air.
24. Improving Soil Structure: The roots of plants hold together the soil particles and stop soil erosion.
25. Absorb Heat: The vegetative cover helps cool the earth’s surface and reduces evaporation of water from the surface.
The above are the 25 advantages of Agriculture. It is crucial to adopt best practices so as to experience the benefits.