Mumbai is leading the center of the cotton industry in India. Factors responsible for the growth of cotton textile industries in Mumbai are as follows:
1. Raw materials: The nearby lava region forming the hinterland of the Mumbai port produces raw cotton. Mumbai is the collecting center of raw cotton for export and mills use. For that purpose, Mumbai possesses a well-knit transport system by rail and road.
2. Port Facilities: Mumbai port has excellent harbor facilities for importing long staple cotton and machinery to meet the requirements of the mill.
3. Humid Climate: has humid climate essential for spinning and weaving.
4. Water: Abundant supplies of soft water are available for dyeing and bleaching.
5. Labor: There are supplies of skilled and skilled workers in large number.
6. Supply of Electricity: It has a favorable position to get electricity at affordable rate.
7. Chemicals: Chemical industries are well developed in Mumbai-Pune industrial belt.
8. Market: There are good markets both home and foreign for the yarn and fabrics.
9. Transport: Both Rail and road transport system are well developed.