The various uses of Forest resources are discussed below:
1. Resin obtained from Chir Pine in western Himalayas is sent to factories in the plains to produce turpentine oil, which is used in paints and polishes.
2. Mysobalans were much in use for tanning earlier. Now some chemicals are used for this purpose.
3. Digitalis, Nux-vomica, Chirata, etc. are medicinal plants. Amla is another fruit, which is used for Kaviraji medicines and for making hair oil.
4. Menthe is being grown in a plantation in Uttar Pradesh Terai. These plantation is used to derive menthol.
5. Many plants yield vegetable dyes and essential oil.
6. Bamboo and cane are collected from forests.
7. Honey is collected from forest areas.
8. Kuth a kind of plant is grown in Lahul. It is used for making scents and medicines.
9. There are many forest based industries for extracting turpentine oil, Katha, etc. There are many saw mills, match factories, etc.