Introduction: Domestic animals, commonly referred to as pets, are very common in most of the countries of the world. Human beings started domesticating animals as soon as intelligence dawned upon him. People have an instinctive love for domestic animals and their home seem to be incomplete without them.
What are Domestic Animals? – Meaning
Domestics animals are those animals that are kept by human-beings as pets for pleasure, companionship, or utilities.
Animals that are tamed and are habituated to live with humans are called domestic animals. Such animals are not wild animals and depend on humans for their survival.
People domesticated various other animals for serving his own interests. There are many kinds of domestic animals. The cow, the dog, the goat, the sheep, the horse, the elephant, the camel and even some birds like pigeons, parrots, parakeets, sparrows, peacocks, rabbits, deer, squirrel and mongoose and all these fall under the category of domestic animals.
Many kinds of domestic animals belonging to the tropical and sub-tropical regions are found in this country.
Some important domestic animals
The cow is the most useful of all the domestic animals. The milk of the cow is both a food and a drink. Bulls are very useful to the village people. They draw the plough, pull the cart, and carry loads.
The horse, another domestic friend, is a noble and lovely animal. It has been serving man in ways more than one from the hoary past. Before the invention of the modern means of transport, it was the chief means of carrying letters and people from one place to another. It is noted for its intelligence and swiftness. It not only draws carriage and carries men and goods but also ploughs land in some countries.
The Dog: Of all the domestic animals, the dog is perhaps the most well-known for its qualities of obedience, intelligence and watchfulness and its quick power of smell. Friends may discard a man in distress but his dog shall never do so; it follows him in adversity and prosperity. Nowadays trained dogs have created a sensation by finding out absconding criminals. They serve many useful purposes of man in different walks of human life.
Parrot (bird): Some people keep parrot as their domestic pet. They are not only beautiful but have also pleasing colors and sweet voices. For example, parrots imitate our voice and sometimes call by our name.
These are some among the most important of our domestic animals. We keep many other animals at home for the service they render.
Uses of Domestic Animals
Domestic animals are reared for several purposes. The most important of them are kept for agricultural purposes, milk and its by-products, transportation and other purposes.
- Fertilizing the fields: Domestic animals also yield dung and farmyard manure, which are so necessary for fertilizing the fields.
- Agricultural purposes: We use cattle for many agricultural purposes such as the drawing of ploughs and carts, lifting of water from the wells, carrying of loads, crushing of cane and seed, threshing of grain, and to the performance of such other forms of productive activities. For agricultural purposes, bullock and buffalo are the most important.
- Milching: Cow, goat, sheep, and buffalo are kept mainly for milching.
- Wool: Goat and sheep also yield wool.
- Transportation: Horses, ponies, asses, mules, camels, sometimes also elephants, were old means of transport.
- Pleasure: Domestic animals are a source of pleasure. Humans seeks diversion in the midst of cares and worries. They keep a pet of their own liking.