Introduction: Internet is a world-wide network of computerized devices and servers. Data travels to and fro among computer systems and servers.
Around three billion people around the world are using internet. The countries with largest number of internet users includes China, United States, and India.
The organization that provides the internet facility to users is called Internet Service Provider (ISP). They normally charge a usage based fees from the customers.
There are many advantages of internet.
- We can make donations online.
- We can send and receive information across large matrix of computer systems. Through email service, we can send messages for both business and personal purposes.
- Internet has opened doors for virtual online offices.
- During the festive season, we don’t need to visit crowed stores to buy our stuff. We can make online purchases at a bargain price.
- We can send birthday greeting cards through the internet.
- Before making any purchases, we can check online for user reviews of the products that we intend to buy.
- We can use social media applications on our personal computer and mobile devices. In this way, we can reconnect to our old school friends.
- We can gather information for new job openings. We can also apply online for jobs.
- We can earn online by doing freelancing jobs, selling online, completing surveys, affiliate marketing, etc.
- We can also sell old items that are of no use for us.
- During idle time, we can listen to music or watch a video.
- We can browse internet for information and use it as supplementary source of knowledge to aid our formal education.
- We can join online courses and develop our skills.
- We an improve our health by reading articles on health topics, or watching videos on stretching exercises.
Also read: Essay on Internet and Its Uses
The disadvantages of internet are:
- We often tend to purchase those extra items that we rarely need. Such purchases are a wastage of money.
- The internet is not free. Sometimes, it hurts while paying bills.
- There are hundreds of vendors selling products of various brands. We get confused with too many choices.
- The transaction cost levied by the payment gateway providers decreases the margin of the online sellers.
- Too many contradictory review leads us nowhere.
- The physical distance among loved ones is increasing.
- Somewhere the emotional connect between people are missing.
- We feel helpless when the internet connection is down.
- We always remain engaged with many online activities such as checking emails, socializing, chatting, online shopping, business-deals, etc. We don’t get time to rest.
- Since most of the things can be done at the click of a button, we have become lazy and don’t want to move around.
- Our life is moving at the pace of internet. We seldom spare few moments of peace for us.
We have the intellect to make smart choices. We should not allow internet to distract or disturb our mind. We should use it in a way that brings harmony in life.