Introduction: “Women empowerment” and “women equality with men” is a universal issue. Women empowerment is a term that is used to encourage, inspire and celebrate women. It is also used to celebrate the strides that women and girls have taken in terms of gender equality, financial independence and high confidence.
What is the meaning of Women Empowerment?
Women empowerment is all about giving women the power and control of their lives to become anything they want and to do what they want in situations where they were not allowed once upon a time. It refers to the creation of an environment for women where they can make decisions of their own for their personal benefits as well as for the society.
Women Empowerment refers to increasing and improving the social, economic, political and legal strength of the women, to ensure equal-right to women, and to make them confident enough to claim their rights, such as:
- freely live their life with a sense of self-worth, respect and dignity,
- have complete control of their life, both within and outside of their home and workplace,
- to make their own choices and decisions (right to choose: to say yes or no),
- have equal rights to participate in social, religious and public activities,
- have equal social status in the society,
- have equal rights for social and economic justice,
- determine financial and economic choices,
- get equal opportunity for education,
- get equal employment opportunity without any gender bias,
- get safe and comfortable working environment.
Women have the rights to get their voices heard. (Also read: Short Paragraph on Women Empowerment)
Why Women Empowerment is Important?
Empowering women is important because women aren’t getting what they deserve.
1. Underemployed and unemployed: Women population constitutes around 50% of the world population. A large number of women around the world are unemployed. The world economy suffers a lot because of the unequal opportunity for women at workplaces.
2. Inspiration for others: There are a lot of women in India who have done exceptionally well in various fields of life. Women like PT Usha, Hima Das, PV Sindhu, Sania Mirza, Saina Nehwal, etc. have won various trophies and medals in their respective fields and showed the girl power to Indian people. After looking at them, a lot of girls came out of their houses and showed what actual talent they carry inside them.
3. Talented: Women are as talented as men. Previously, women were not allowed higher education like men and hence their talents were wasted. But nowadays, they are also allowed to go for higher studies and it encourages women to show their talents which will not only benefit her individually but to the whole world at large. Today, Many women are occupying the top position of multinational companies.
4. Overall development of society: The main advantage of Women Empowerment is that there will be an overall development of the society. The money that women earn does not only help them and or their family, but it also help develop the society.
5. Economic Benefits: Women Empowerment also leads to more economic benefits not to the individuals but to the society as well. Women empowerment leads to more financial independence of women and girls. They are taught on how they can use their skills to get income that they can use to support their families. Women empowerment helps women to stand on their own legs, become independent and also to earn for their family which grows country’s economy.
6. Reduction in domestic violence: Empowering girls also leads to reduced levels of domestic violence. Educated women and girls are able to stand for themselves and escape from incidences of domestic violence.
7. Reduction in corruption: Women Empowerment is also advantageous in case of corruption. Women empowerment helps women to get educated and know their rights and duties and hence can stop corruption.
8. Reduce Poverty: Women Empowerment also reduces poverty. This also contributes significantly to the family welfare. This is because their children are more likely to acquire good education and they are also able to save and invest for the benefit of their families.
9. National Development: Women are increasingly participating in the national development process. They are making the nation proud by their outstanding performances almost every spheres including medical science, social service, engineering, etc. This leads to more developed economies. This is because the women are able to work and acquire income which translates to higher levels of a country’s GDP. By empowering women, we enable the nation.
10. Availability of Quality workforce: Large organizations need a large pool of high quality workforce. Empowerment of women would help in increasing the total workforce of quality people.
11. Self-esteem: Women should be treated equally with men in all spheres of life. This would help her develop a good emotional health.
12. Improved health: Another importance of empowering women is that it leads to healthier societies. This is because women by nature are the care takers of their homes and when empowered, they are better able to take care of their homes and families.
13. Human rights: Every Woman deserves to be treated with respect and dignity. Not allowing them to get educated or not providing them with a safe working environment is against basic human rights. Empowering women would help is in dealing with human right issues.
14. Cleanliness and hygiene: Empowering women also include providing them education related to cleanliness and hygiene. When they understand the benefits of maintaining a clean and hygiene environment, they would obviously make effort towards it.
15. Educated society: Women empowerment leads to increased levels of literacy in the world. This is the case when these girls gain education that can help them better their lives. Many people do want their daughters to study and thus a lot of women remain illiterate. But, girls should be allowed to study till the time she feels it is good for her. This is not only good for her but also from the country’s perspective as well.
16. Gender equality: Empowerment of women is also important in accomplishing the world goal of gender equality. By empowering girls, this goal is achieved as they are better able to compete with their male counterparts in places such as government, learning institutions and even leadership positions.
17. Political representation: Girl empowerment also contributes to equality in political representation. This is because the girls have more confidence to compete for leadership and political seats.
18. Women empowerment helps realize the potential and the dreams that are manifested in the female population hence giving them momentum to propagate themselves.
Few ways to empower women and girls
- One of the ways to empower women is to stand against domestic violence. Domestic violence is a vice that makes many women fear to stand up for their rights and hence standing against it will give confidence to girls and women.
- Women can also be empowered through the creation of platforms where the issues that they are facing in the society can be aired and addressed.
- We can also empower girls by making sure that they are able to access education. They should gain formal education that will help them to make their lives better.
- Women can also be empowered through educating the community. The community can be educated on the importance of the girl child and how they can contribute towards their welfare.
- Girls can also be empowered by having a significant percentage of women in leadership and political positions. This will help them to better address the issues that are facing the girls and women in the society.
- Having laws and legislation that advocate against gender based violence is also a way of empowering girls. It will give them the confidence to stand up whenever they are abused.
- Welfare organizations should also take the initiative of having training centers in the community where women can be taught on how they can start small businesses that will help them earn money.
- Having mentors in our communities will also give girls and women a role model in the society who will inspire them to become better and hence raising their confidence.
- We can also empower women and girls by advocating and campaigning against vices like early marriages, dowry system, etc. This will create a friendlier environment for our girls and women.
- Girls and women can also be empowered through the creation of equal opportunities in all areas. This can be in education, work places and in leadership positions.
Also read: How to Empower Women in India?
Women were denied a lot of opportunities and they missed out on a lot of things that would have changed their lives. However, they deserve equal opportunities for education, in their careers, in the society, and so much more.
The empowerment of women is a very important task that every one of us should undertake. This is because empowering women is equal to empowering the whole community and generations to come. There are many ways in which we can empower girls and women and the task does not solely lay with the government but with everyone in the society.
Updated: March 17, 2019