What is Music? Music is the ‘art of combining tones in a manner to please the ear’. It may also mean sounds so combined as to make a pleasant impression on the mind.
All sound, however, is not music. It is only when the sounds (combined) produce harmony and melody and please the ear that they become music.
Music paves the way for the absorption of the mind in the Supreme. In fact, it is an innocent and refining diversion.
Importance of Music:
- Music can bring excitement in our life.
- It can stir up the feelings of love and sympathy.
- Music makes our life beautiful and fills our heart with joy.
- A emotional song can melt the heart of even a violent person.
- A patriotic song awakens in one of the love for one’s country.
- The solemn and stately music fills the worshipers with awe and reverence and the sense of the Divine Presence.
- Some famous musical pieces are ranked among the greatest achievements in human history.
Everyone knows how the song or Orpheus, the great musician of ancient Greece, proved captivating to stones, trees and flood.
The song of Tansen at Akbar’s court brought about a heavy shower and kindled a fire. Music not only rouses various feelings but also quiets the worried and wearied soul.
Conclusion: We can play a musical instrument. Alternatively, we can listen to a song according to our mood or choice. Either way, music enhances our lives in many ways.
Also read: Essay on Importance of Music in Life