‘United we stand, divided we fall’
Meaning: ‘United we stand, divided we fall’ – so goes the proverb. The meaning of this proverb is that if we stay together, then nobody can defeat us. However, if we keep fighting among ourselves over trivial matters, then outsiders may take advantage of our internal weakness.
The above statement is true both at micro and macro level. A large nation can stay free and independent only if the citizens and states of the country stays united. It is said that Unity is strength.
Similarly, if the members within a family supports each-other, and stand together at difficult times, then no outsider put his evil eyes on the family.
A famous story
We all know the story of the old man and his three sons. When the old man was dying, his sons began to quarrel. He asked them, one by one, to break a bundle of sticks tied together. They could not do it. He ordered the bundle to be united and then asked his sons to break each stick separately. They did it easily. This was a lesson for the sons; and they never afterwards quarreled or forgot to stand united.
Why unity is Important?
- Wealthy people have made themselves poor by quarrels and dissensions amongst themselves.
- Millionaires came to grief when members of their families disagreed and set themselves against each other.
- This is true also of kingdoms and empires. We know how Alexander of Macedon conquered the Punjab which was dived into several kingdoms. Alexander easily overcame them.
- Much of the social, economic, environmental and global issues can be solved, if people around the world get united as one entity.
- When people of a country develop a sense of unity among themselves, the government of that country can focus on economic development, and security of the nation.
Also read: Short paragraph on Unity is Strength
Conclusion: The policy of mischief-makers has been to bring about disagreement among brothers in a family; and what is true of a family is equally true of a country. But man too often forgets the truth of the saying, ‘United we stand, divided we fall’.