Positive and Negative Effects of Television on Children
Television has both positive and negative effects on children. They are each discussed below:
Positive effects on children
The children of today are notably more smart and knowledgeable than their predecessors a few decades back. One of the major factors which have led to this enlightenment is the Television (TV) of today.
1. Children love watching Television and gather knowledge through this medium. Without doubt, it is far easier on the memory of the kid to retain some idea if the narrative or lecture is accompanied by the visual.
2. Through Television one gets to know details of incidents, discoveries and achievements visually, and the positive part is that even Children who catch fever and other discomforts while studying, do not need to be coaxed to gather visual information.
3. The advantages in gaining knowledge and information, which could be understood even by kids, were multiplied.
4. Television is a major source of entertainment for kids. There are many television channels that are dedicated for child related shows. Many of the kids shows are based on moral stories. These serials attempt at moral building and polishing without losing the entertainment aspect of it.
Negative effects on children
The negative or harmful effects of watching Television on Children are manifold.
1. The problem with children is that, they do not have the wisdom to discriminate, between what is good and what is bad for them.
2. Child gathers incomplete information from adult channels available on Television (TV). When we are saying that they should not view what is wrong, we are talking about several Adult channels which have been made accessible today. A child gathers incomplete knowledge from them and more often than not tries to repeat what he has seen being done.
3. We are also discussing the length of the programs which are interesting to kids. Interesting far more than their studies or other work more important, like the Cartoon channels. These characters are lovable but if viewed for long durations, disturb the concentrating power of children, in their studies.
4. Most of the movies do not depict a true picture of our society which has its adverse impact on the child’s mind.
5. The violence shown in these movies, which is another major factor, working as a deterrent for the young viewers.
6. The other point is the situation where the hero is shown as invincible. He fights 10 or 12 goons and wins in the end, after smashing them to pulp or riddling them with bullets. This does not happen in real life but the kid at this impressionable age believes it to be true. In some cases, he tries it out on his own, doing the stunts he has seen, resulting in serious injury.
We may conclude that, the advantages of Television are overshadowed by the adverse impact it has on a child’s mind. Restriction should be enforced against indiscriminate viewing. It is therefore a strong case to enforce restriction on indiscriminate viewing of Television by children.