Importance of Sports in our Life
Introduction: A healthy nation is always a wealthy nation. Therefore, it is necessary to put emphasis on sports.
One can think of a healthy mind only in a healthy body. Both physical and mental well being are the prerequisites of great achievements in man’s life.
History shows that young men who excelled in the field in sports could prove their worth in the battlefield as valiant soldiers in later life and get the laurels of victory.
Necessity of sports: Sports have their great utility.
- Sports are the sources of recreation. They provide relief and a sense relaxation in a life of monotony of routine marked by miseries, hardships and hurdles.
- They instill or infuse a sportive spirit to take up the heavy burden of life in a lighter vein and not to think of life either as a tragedy or a comedy but as the ordinary business of living.
- It is very essential to maintain health and physical fitness.
- It encourages the growth of team-spirit.
- Sports and games bring about various methods of diversions.
Outdoor games: Among the outdoor games football, volley, cricket, basket ball and tennis etc. are very popular all over the world. Recently, World Cup Football Games were the focal point of attention for all sports lovers.
Gold and Table Tennis are played in many parts of the world. The Olympic Games, held with an interval of 4 years, foster the sense of oneness and the true sportive spirit among nations.
Students: It is argued that sports should be made compulsory right from the primary classes and form a part of educational curriculum.
Children from their start must realize the utility of sports and games. Drills and other methods of physical fitness should be introduced from the beginning by well trained teachers and coaches.
Educational value of sports: The necessity of sports is felt to be so great in life that there is ample justification for them to be introduced in the schools compulsorily.
- Sports and games impart a sense of discipline, fellow-feeling and togetherness.
- They teach the value of time and how it is important to note how a minute, a fraction of a minute and even of second decides the fate of a young sportsman in the field of competition.
- With proper training in sports and games, students become active, sportive, dashing, daring and adventurous capable of meeting the challenges in future life.
- Sports and games are the right avenues to channelize the energy and vitality of students and make their leisure hours worthwhile.
- The spirit of competition is inculcated in most cases by sports and games.
- A forum is made available for physical fitness.
- The greatest educational value of the sports and games is to provide stimulation for study and for hard work.
Conclusion: It is not the sound and the fury that counts but effort in the right direction to make a mark. Keeping this in view, it is high time that we spot out our sports talents and provide all necessary facilities to train them properly so as to enable them to compete with world champions with no feelings of diffidence.