Some countries are known for their culture and heritage. Tourism becomes their main occupation. Tourism can also be a problem if not managed well.
It has been recorded that most countries get its part of GDP from tourism. Tourism is not a simple or straightforward task.
Tourism is just have its own pros and cons. It creates jobs and gives a boost to the economy. But, it should also be restricted to some extents.
Advantages of tourism
- Economically, it brings money and this is the main reason why it is promoted. Income generated from tourism is then used in the private and public sector.
- International connections are highly promoted. It also promotes cross- culture of both the international and local authorities.
- It also promotes tourism of a particular region which has its own importance.
- It provides economic incentives to regenerate, preserve the environment factor in both urban and rural region.
- It provides incentives to build up infrastructures such as road, railway networks and local medicines.
- It provides opportunities for jobs like in hotels, bars, restaurants and staffing.
- Tourism provides workers with 1 out of 12 jobs for every worker.
Disadvantages of tourism
- There are so many environmental damages when tourist allowed to explore it. Even if they act responsibly but some of them may damage the environment.
- Ancient buildings, temples and moved monuments affected by traffic and wear- tear inevitably.
- They can have a cultural clash as a tourist may lack respect and that is not good for the locals.
- Job creation would be seasonal. Tourism is for a limited season so the jobs and economy boost boosts.
- The flow of money can only be diverted to tourism and other areas of development can be left behind.
- Local business of that area would be affected as many of the tourist agencies are owned by foreign companies.
By Ananda (2019)