Fashion means something that is trendy or valued in a certain time period. The prevailing fashion/ trends/style is called ‘vogue’.
Fashion can also simply mean our lifestyle: the clothing and accessories that we wear and the cosmetics that we apply.
Besides clothing, ornaments, accessories, and make up, it also includes our mannerism and behavior. The way we talk, the words that we use while talking, the voice tone, the clothing, the way we wear the clothes, etc. are all aspects of fashion.
When it was first introduced into the English language, the word fashion means ‘to create’. We can still see shadows of this meaning in our present day use of the word fashion.
We help to create an image of ourselves through our garments, accessories and other aspects of our lifestyle.
It is important to follow fashion.
- Personality: we show our personality through our personal style.
- Art: some fashion designers’ creations are works of art in their own right and have hung in museums across the globe.
- Fun: it can be fun to follow the fashions and debate them.
- Industry: the fashion industry is a very profitable one.
- History: some historic fashions are steeped in stories of times gone by.
Conclusion: Whether we choose to follow the latest trends or whether we prefer to create our own, there is no denying that fashion can be a significant part of our lives.